A NATURAL GIFT
Biogas is a gaseous mix made up of:
- Methane (CH4) – 50/60%
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – 35/40%
- Other gases - 1%
- Nitrogen (N2)
- Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S)
- Hydrogen (H2)
- Water vapour (H2O)
The process of anaerobic digestion is the main activity for the production of biogas.
Biogas is a renewable energy source, which is generated through a biochemical process using anaerobic bacteria (bacteria which live without oxygen).
The process can be conducted in Mesophilic (35°C) or in Thermophilic (55°C) temperature conditions; the thermophilic process provides higher yields in biogas and completely destroys pathogenic micro-organisms (salmonella and coliforms).
- Reliable: Unlike other renewable energy sources (e.g., solar and wind) biogas is produced continuously, so it is always available throughout the year, in any weather situation.
- Zero emissions: the amount of CO2 emitted from biogas corresponds to the CO2 previously used by plants, so it is not released additional carbon dioxide.
- Energy/Heat: thanks to the biogas energy is produced and / or heat, so there is no need for large power plants and reactors.
- Not only heat and power: in a biogas plant as well as electricity and heat, an excellent natural fertilizer called digestate is produced, used as fertilizer on the fields.